We were founded in 1972 by Swami Kriyananda, a direct disciple of Paramhansa Yogananda, the author of Autobiography of a Yogi. From this original school the Education for Life System has expanded to now include campuses on three continents.
Our school includes preschool through 12th grade. Boarding facilities are available for 9th to 12th grade students. We are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The Ananda College of Living Wisdom™ is located 6 miles from our campus.
- We need to nurture the soul as well as the mind and body.
- In this age of energy, students can learn to guide their own energy in a positive direction.
- True maturity includes being able to appreciate other people’s realities and learning to work constructively with those realities.
- We nurture the student’s four Tools of Maturity: the body, the feeling or heart nature, the will, and the intellect. (read more)
Practicing this Philosophy
- We start with each child’s readiness to learn the essential skills and help him or her to move forward from there.
- We create a learning environment where students can pursue their special interests.
- We support students in striving for personal excellence in academics, the arts, athletics and personal growth.
- We keep the class size to a maximum of 12.
The Education For Life Teacher
EFL teachers are chosen for their ability to live from their center and communicate respectfully to everyone. Teachers have the freedom to teach their subject matter in the style that will match the students ability to receive it.
We are located in the picturesque foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Our school campus covers 4 to 5 acres surrounded by woodlands, meadows and ponds. We are located on the grounds of the Ananda Community, an intentional community based on yoga and meditation, although we are a separate corporation with a non-sectarian mission.